- City Services
- Public Works
- Stormwater Management
- Snow & Ice Removal
Snow & Ice Removal
Deicing salt accounts for approximately 75% of chloride found in our waterways. During precipitation events and snowmelt, stormwater gathers excess salt and washes it into our nearby streams and lakes. The remaining 25% of chloride in surface and groundwater is from water softeners. Chloride in water has major negative impacts to wildlife, the environment, and us.
Knowing how much salt to use and the best time to apply is critical to keeping the balance between safe roads, driveways, parking lots, and sidewalks and a healthy sustainable environment.
The City is proud to say, all winter maintenance crew members are Smart Salting Certified!
Follow this link to a Winter Parking Lot and Sidewalk Maintenance Manual: Winter Parking Lot and Sidewalk Maintenance Manual (state.mn.us)
What YOU Can Do to Prevent Winter Stormwater Pollution
Employ these simple practices during winter weather to prevent pollution to our valuable local water resources
- Get your crew Smart Salting Certified or hire a Smart Salting Certified Contractor. Follow this link for more information on getting certified: Smart Salting training | Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (state.mn.us)
- Familiarize your crew with proper application techniques such as applying the right methods or tools given weather conditions, measuring pavement temperatures, and equipment calibration
- Make sure to property store your salt container under cover and away from storm drains, and on a hard surface
- First line of defense should always be frequent shoveling and physical removal of snow/ice instead of application of deicers
- Pay attention to the forecast and remember deicers are only effective in temperatures above 25 degrees Fahrenheit
- Always be sure to read and familiarize yourself with the products you choose to use
- Sweep up excess salt and sand following a storm, it can be reused
- Pile shovel or plowed snow away on vegetated areas and away from paved surfaces to prevent runoff during thaw
- Avoid piling upstream of paved surfaces to prevent slippery conditions as the snow melts
- Sweep up residual sand, grit, and garbage immediately after snowmelt from piles
- Keep gutters and drainage pathways clear and free of debris to prevent backup and unwanted freezing
- Avoid unnecessary travel during snowstorms to allow roads to be cleared safely and timely