Current Programs and Registration:
View our online catalog for current Youth Sports offerings and to register. Below you will find overview of the youth activities we offer throughout the year.
The Park and Recreation Department utilizes volunteer coaches for many of the youth programs the department offers. Volunteer coaches are a key ingredient in the offering of these youth programs. This includes training in psychology and philosophy of youth sports, first aid, and teaching skill techniques for the various activities. Please call the Park and Recreation office if interested at 507-444-4321. All volunteer coaches must fill out a background check on a yearly basis.
If you've registered your child for an activity and need to cancel the registration for any reason please refer to our Refund Policy.
- Spring Programs
- Summer Programs
- Fall Programs
- Winter Programs
- Year-Round Programs
- Steele County Safety Camp
- Lacrosse - Ten entry-level skills training sessions that focus on learning and building the skills needed to play lacrosse, including, passing, catching, ground balls, defense, offense, and transition.
- Soccer - Boys and girls age 5 (by August 31) through 6th grade learn basic skills in a fun, inclusive, social setting.
- Baseball- Available for 2nd through 5th grades. Pitching machine used for younger leagues, player pitch for older leagues. Leagues emphasis participation and development of fundamental baseball skills. All participants receive a full uniform (pants, socks, belt, and jersey) with a Major League Baseball hat.
- Camps - Summer FUN! Owatonna Parks & Recreation is committed to encourage learning and still give kids a chance to be kids! Campers will make new friends, experience new things, learn new skills and enjoy what we hope is the best week of their summer. A variety of camps available for kids ages 3-10.
- Learn to Skate Hockey - As it starts to heat up outside, we offer our annual summertime cool-down in the Four Seasons Centre.
- Softball - Available for 1st through 4th graders. An in-house program emphasizing fundamental softball skill development using fun and creative drills appropriate for the age group. All participants receive a uniform consisting of a shirt and socks.
- Mini Sluggers - Available for current kindergartners who have played t-ball and current 1st graders. First exposure to the game of baseball.
- T-Ball - T-Ball is for current 5 year-olds and Kindergarteners (1st time players). Boys and girls learn fundamentals and skill development.
- Track - A program for boys and girls who have completed 2nd through 8th grades. Track promotes physical fitness, develops self-esteem through individual success and provides low-key fun. All participants receive a t-shirt.
- Football - Programs available for 1st through 6th graders. 1st and 2nd graders learn football skills through games and drills such as flicker ball and interception. No equipment is needed for 1st and 2nd grades. 3rd through 6th graders participate in a tackle program with practices, scrimmages and games.
- Volleyball - 1st through 6th graders participate in a fun introduction to volleyball. Players learn the skills with practices and scrimmages. All participants receive a t-shirt.
- Basketball - Available for kindergarteners through 6th graders. K through 2nd grades focus on developing skills, sportsmanship and motor skills. 3rd through 6th grades form separate girls and boys leagues and work on skill development through practices and games. All participants receive a t-shirt.
- Hockey - Participants learn to skate and develop basic hockey skills. The program is divided into three levels:
Learn to Skate, U6 and U8 (Mites).
- Swimming Lessons - Private and group lessons are taught by an American Red Cross instructor.
- Tennis - Available for ages 4 and up. Low compression balls, kid size racquets and 36 and 60 foot court sizes are used, to ensure a fun, successful experience for every child! Racquets are available for those without their own.
The Owatonna Police, Fire, and Parks and Recreation Departments, Steele County Sheriff’s and Attorney’s Offices along with Gold Cross Ambulance will host the Steele County Kid’s Safety Camp. Kids entering 4th grade in the fall learn about:
- Fishing Safety
- Boating Safety
- Camping/Hiking Safety
- Firearms Safety
- First Aid
- Bike Safety
- Electrical Safety
- And Much More!
Cost is $20 per student
Fee includes lunches, snacks, beverages, and safety items to take home. Each child will receive a camp T-shirt, certificate of completion and team picture.
Register online or in the Park and Rec office. If you register online please make sure that all of the information on your account is accurate and up to date.
Sponsors:The 2020 Steele County Safety Camp Committee is gearing up for the 25th Annual Steele County Safety Camp! This two-day camp is offered to students entering fourth grade and focuses on reducing the number of accidental injuries among children. This is a great opportunity to give back to the youth in our community. The Steele County Safety Camp Committee needs your help to make this camp successful! Sponsoring Steele County Safety Camp is a great way to advertise your business and help make this camp successful.
Please mail sponsorships/donations to:
Steele County Safety Camp
146 McKinley St E
Owatonna, MN 55060
Please email your company logo to firstname.lastname@example.org for advertising.